Monday, January 20, 2014

What Martin Luther King, Jr. Taught Us About Opportunity


Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!


I have always been in awe of Martin Luther King, Jr.  His ability to inspire a group is unrivaled.  He commands attention with his voice but it's what lies beneath the words that oozes to the surface and makes you say "Free at last!!!"  You can tell he had a clear sense of purpose.  He had a cause for which he was willing to die.  His actions led a movement that altered the landscape of America.  When I look at the small business landscape I see a similar opportunity.  An opportunity to alter our path; an opportunity to course correct.  A chance to transform a menial role into a meaningful one.  Small businesses have always represented a dream to me.  They have always represented a person fighting for their freedom.  Martin Luther King, Jr. is one of the best examples in human history of how to fight for your freedom.


His most famous speech is by far "I Have a Dream" and what is not to love?!  There are so many great quotes from that speech that relate to a business owner like when he discusses our inalienable rights to pursue life, liberty and happiness.  That is what we call the American Dream.  Today however I want to share a quote you may not have heard before.  And it goes a little something like this:


"You may be 38 years old, as I happen to be. And one day, some great opportunity stands before you and calls you to stand up for some great principle, some great issue, some great cause. And you refuse to do it because you are afraid…. You refuse to do it because you want to live longer…. You’re afraid that you will lose your job, or you are afraid that you will be criticized or that you will lose your popularity, or you’re afraid that somebody will stab you, or shoot at you or bomb your house; so you refuse to take the stand.


Well, you may go on and live until you are 90, but you’re just as dead at 38 as you would be at 90. And the cessation of breathing in your life is but the belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit."
Goosebumps!  I know the great opportunity that stands before me.  The opportunity to help other entrepreneurs pursue their passion.  The opportunity to help people understand their funding options and help educate them on the smartest choice for their situation.  The opportunity to punch fear in the face!  What opportunity is standing before you?  Has financing your business been a scary situation?  Have you thought, “They won’t give money to anybody like me”?  As you research your financing options you might be fearful because you do not have all the answers to the questions that are being asked.  That is ok!  I was scared to write this and then I realized that I had to write it so others will not fear their opportunity.  You are the reason I am writing this.  So I will be fighting for you to not be afraid to dream.  I am providing steps that we can march together.  If funds are the only thing preventing you from realizing a dream then it is time to take a stand.  I am here for you!  Let’s stand together!


Your Fundit,
Thomas S. Wilkins


Sources
Quote
Image


P.S.  You can hear the "You may be 38 years old" sermon here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T88_j9sVBcc

P.P.S. Tomorrow I will discuss the topics for this blog by month and I will need your input!

Follow me on Twitter @TSWEnterprises
Add Me on LinkedIn here

No comments:

Post a Comment